Having an ideal body weight is vital for a healthy life. Ayurveda says that being under weight or over weight can cause many problems. One should understand the needs of the body is very essential especially how to eat in different seasons. In the holiday season it is quite easy to over eat and gain weight with all the parties and good food around. It is not easy to say “No” and that leads to the problem of gaining weight in a small period and this weight is really difficult to shrug off, isn't it?
Luckily Ayurveda has remedies for it. Gaining weight leads to increase of the kapha Dosha in the body. This is the result of eating too much sweet, sour and salty food. The Vata Dosha also gets affected because it is aggravated due to winter season and is at its peak. So, two of the three Doshas need to be kept in check during the holiday season. The way to go is to go slow and eat simple food after the holidays. Reduction of stress and meditating are good ways to manage both Kapha and Vata Dosha. How to do it? Well, here are some tips which you can implement in daily life. Implementing these will help you have a healthier life.
Image courtesy of Pinterest.com
1. Make a routine for meals – You have snacked enough during the holidays. Now is the time to stabilize the digestion by eating three meals a day on time. Avoid snacks with potato and oil content, even chocolate. If you feel hungry try fruits like pears, apples and figs.
2. Eat a nice sumptuous lunch but a small dinner – Lunch is the time to indulge in filling up the stomach. Dinner should be smaller and much closer to sunset than night. Allow the food two hours to settle down before going to bed. This will complete the first stage of digestion. The dinner should consist of light food and steamed food is the best. If you want to go for a rejuvenation package of Ayurveda, you should first get this routine right.
3. Get up early in the morning – Metabolism increases when you get up early in the morning. So, get your heart's pumping with a sport, Yoga or a run/jog in the morning. This routine will help you feel lighter for the day and you will be surprised at how much weight you will lose doing this regularly. Always remember to drink lots of water during the play or workout, as this hydrates the body and the weight loss will be real.
4. Drink warm water during the day – Start with a glass full of warm water in the morning. It will help you get your bowels clear. Next carry a thermos flask with hot water with you to workplace. Mix the same with cold water and sip every hour. This will help you flush out the toxins and keep you hydrated and you will not have snack cravings. This is the first thing that is on the routine list if you go for Panchkarma in Rishikesh.
5. Have at least 6 hours of sleep – Go to bed early and rise up early. This allows for the non-REM sleep which is necessary for physical and mental relaxation. If you sleep less then you will have more of REM sleep and will wake up tired.
Just following these small things you can lose weight and be healthy, and this can be done in one month only. These routines becoming a permanent part of lifestyle would be great though.